The Sooke School District is proud to offer all teachers and students from grades 4 to 12 a district-managed Google Apps for Education (GAFE) account. The use of GAFE is voluntary and students between Grade 4-8 will require parent and student consent. This process will be initiated by the student’s teacher. For students between Grade 9-12, student consent required and initiated by the student. Please contact the school or teacher for more information about requesting a student GAFE account.
Who can get a Sd62 GAFE account?
Students Grade 4-12 and staff are able to request a SD62 GAFE account and use it according to the acceptable use guidelines.
What is Google Apps for Education (GAFE)?
Google Apps for Education is a hosted service that can be accessed from any technology connected to the internet. It is designed specifically for use in education and the applications are different than what is provided from public Google applications (such as Gmail) in that they are managed by the district and allow for greater filtering, advertisement blocking and application control by SD62 system administrators. Below are a few of the top used applications for Google Apps for Education in SD62.
|Students (Grade 4-8)||Students (Grades 9-12)|
|GAFE email account is limited to only SD62 domains (@sd62learns.org and @sd62.bc.ca)||GAFE email account has no sender restirctions|
|Google Drive (unlimited storage, including docs, sheets, slides, forms, and drawing)||Google Drive (unlimited storage, including docs, sheets, slides, forms, and drawing)|
|Ability to share data is set to private by default||Ability to share data is set to private by default|
|Google Drive is limited sharing to only SD62 domains||Google Drive has no sharing restrictions|
|Google Calendar and Google Classroom||Google Calendar and Google Classroom|
Why Google Apps for Education?
There are many benefits of using Google Apps for Education:
- GAFE is offered to educational institutions at no cost
- Efficiency and workflow for collaboration and sharing of learning
- Accounts are accessible from any device, in any location, so long as an internet connection is available
- Powerful connecting for students and educators together to work on projects
- Having work online reduces paper use and waste and streamlines workflow
- Education accounts have unlimited storage capacity in Google Drive, and offer access to tools such as Google Classroom, which are unavailable to public/regular Google accounts
- Additional sharing settings within the Education domain means safer access to shared files and work
- Find out more at Google Apps for Education Website